Lemon meringue s’mores with shortbread cookies

Lemon Meringue Smores

The open call for meyer lemon poachers still stands. No one has yet taken me up on the offer…except for the opossums who keep leaving mangled up lemons in the middle of our weed garden. I’m here to tempt you to come collect a basket of lemons by pulling out the blow torch to make these lemon meringue s’mores. Note: my blow torch has a holster so I look pretty rad.

Shortbread Cookies

I’m considering setting up the card table in the front yard as a lemonade stand while I sit in a lawn chair and write my dissertation all afternoon. I’ll just sip homemade lemonade and wait for folks to stop by for a cup. You’d stop for a glass of ice-cold lemonade if you saw a woman in her late twenties typing at a computer with a pitcher of lemonade and a scribbled sign on the sidewalk in front of her house, right?

Lemon curd smores

This is a much more passive sales strategy than the lemonade stand of my childhood. During her toast, my maid of honor revealed a few of our super effective lemonade stand tactics. For starters, we maximized our production by selling cups of whatever Crystal Light flavor my mom stocked in her cabinets that week – cutting out the precious lemon-squeezing time.

We then hit ’em hard with our in-your-face advertising techniques by holding a 6-foot long hand-drawn sign that read “CRYSTAL LIGHT FRUIT PUNCH” across the road to block traffic and maximize reach to all potential customers. Our rock-solid security measures involved freezing to resemble a statue when “scary cars” drove by. If you’re thinking about going into sales, we’re alive and here to attest to the efficacy of this security strategy.

Finally, as true co-founders, we divvied up all profits right down the middle, tossing any remaining pennies into the “penny tree” across the street with a solemn vow that neither of us would ever dip our fingers into the tree.

Gluten-free Lemon Meringue Smores

Guys, what I’m trying to say is that I’m HIGHLY qualified to run a lemonade stand. Since the weather’s turning cooler, maybe a lemon meringue s’mores stand would be more popular – complete with a front yard campfire. I’ve got a wealth of ideas that will make writing my dissertation less monotonous, but alas, my fantasy as a s’mores entrepreneur will have to wait. If for no other reason than I ate all the s’mores.

Meyer lemon s'mores

These lemon meringue s’mores are one of my proudest moments yet – a toasted lemon meringue marshmallow with a thin caramelized shell sandwiched between two shortbread cookies spread with a thin layer of meyer lemon curd. The gluten-free shortbread cookies are crisp buttery, and melt-in-your-mouth delicious. They’re good enough to eat alone as tea cookies, and even better when topped with lemon curd and marshmallows. Cue the excitement of a girl who made her s’mores without chocolate as a kid.

Lemon Meringue Smores with Shortbread Cookies

For s’more inspiration, check out these inventive s’mores recipes:

S’mores Ice Cream Sandwich from The Little Epicurean

The Ultimate S’mores Sundae from Shared Appetite

Inside Out Peanut Butter Banana S’mores from Half Baked Harvest

Peanut Butter S’mores Bars from The Food Charlatan

Mile High S’mores Pie from In Katrina’s Kitchen

Salted Caramel S’mores from My Baking Addiction

S’mores Blossoms from Just Putzing Around the Kitchen

Chai Tea S’mores from A Side of Sweet

S’mores Bars with Golden Grahams from Baked Bree

Thanks for reading Snixy Kitchen! To stay up on what’s coming out of my kitchen, follow me on FacebookInstagramTwitterBloglovin’, or Pinterest, or subscribe via e-mail to get new recipes right to your inbox.

Lemon meringue s'mores with shortbread cookies
Yields: 12-15 S'mores
Shortbread Cookies {gluten-free}
  • 1 cup white rice flour
  • ½ cup oat flour (I make my own by finely grinding gluten-free oats in a food processor)
  • ½ cup sweet rice flour
  • ¼ cup tapioca starch (or corn starch)
  • 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
  • ¼ tsp baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon of salt
  • ¾ cup softened butter
  • ¾ cup powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Shortbread Cookies {gluten-free}
  1. Preheat the oven to 300°F.
  2. In a medium bowl, sift together the white rice flour, oat flour, sweet rice flour, tapioca starch, xanthan gum, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
  3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter until smooth. Slowly add the powdered sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
  4. Add the vanilla extract and mix until combined.
  5. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the creamed butter, beating until it comes together in a ball.
  6. Divide the dough into two balls. Wrap them in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour.
  7. Working with one ball at a time, roll out the dough onto a lightly floured surface until it is about ¼-inch thick.
  8. Use a pastry wheel or a knife to cut 2-1/2 inch squares. Carefully transfer each square to a parchment-lined baking sheet, 1 inch apart. Rework any leftover scraps back into the dough as you would with sugar cookies. Repeat until you have 24-30 cookies.
  9. Use a skewer to poke 5 evenly spaced holes in the top of each cookie.
  10. Bake the cookie sheets side-by-side for 16-18 minutes, or until they spring back when lightly touched in the center (they'll crisp up as they cool).
  11. Turn oven off. Open the oven door and let the cookies rest until the oven is cool, or at least 20 minutes. Store in an airtight container for up to one week.
  1. Spread about 2 teaspoons of lemon curd on one cooled shortbread cookie.
  2. Using either a fire or the flame from a gas stove, roast a marshmallow. (See notes below).
  3. Press the roasted marshmallow between the lemon curd covered shortbread cookie and another shortbread cookie. Devour instantly.
Homemade marshmallows roast a bit differently than store-bought marshmallows. I tried roasting homemade marshmallows under the broiler and in the microwave for just 5 seconds and both attempts led to completely MELTED marshmallows. I tried roasting with a blow torch, but found the outside caramelized while the inside didn't cook. I had the best luck roasting homemade marshmallows over the flame of a gas stove or over an open fire.

If you're using store-bought marshmallows, you can roast them indoors easily under the broiler, or for the super quick way, microwave them for 5-10 seconds until they puff up.

Filed Under: , , , , , , ,

1. Ah! They turned out amazing :) They look perfectly caramelized like the meringue tops on the lemon tarts I am currently obsessed with here in France! Just enough to give it an awesome texture.

On a side note, it sounds like the whole lemonade stand thing is a fantastic idea! I would definitely buy a s’more from you! Maybe not random Crystal Light flavors though. I gave that up a while ago because it’s seriously addictive (at least to me!)

• Thank you so much Melissa. I want one of those lemon tarts you’re talking about now!

That’s too funny about your Crystal Light addiction! I’ll only shove s’mores in your face then;)

2. janelle says:

this is a magical and delicious looking idea!

3. This looks amazing! Love the idea of lemon meringue in a s’more!

4. Absolute GENIUS! I love these!

5. What a clever idea! These look great and like such a fun party food!

6. You are a complete food genius! This is the most creative s’mores I’ve ever seen. I would gobble them up in a heart beat.

7. Nicole says:

You are amazing for this! I am a Smore whore and you just gave me something else to get excited about. Pinning!

8. Allison says:

If you started a lemon meringue smores stand, I would be your best customer! Such a creative recipe! The gluten-free shortbread cookie along is so fascinating. That would just be so much yummier than a graham cracker!

9. Mmmmmm, these look fabulous! And I told you I’d be happy to take lemons off your hand – just mail me everything you have, along with a pound of those yummy marshmallows, please….pronto.

10. What a unique take on smores! They looks fresh and delicious in their little lemony selves. :-)

11. So you’re not exactly a ruthless business woman??? :)

12. Wish I could have met you during my childhood years! I have…ahem, embarrassingly…never seen a lemonade stand in person. There’s really no such thing in Argentina where I grew up! And in LA+orange county that’s a rarity to come across too. But I’d definitely be impressed if I saw these somewhere. They’re so gorgeous and decadent…You should probably stop now with all things lemon since you know it’s my weakness, and I know behind your sweet self, you’re trying to get me to like s’mores. ;)

• Oh my! I guess the lemonade stand is definitely a small-town kind of thing. Maybe you should come visit and we’ll have our own lemonade stand so you can have that experience:)

Thank you! I will convince you to eat s’mores one day – muahahaha.

13. Sarah, love your twist on the s’mores! Thanks for your email btw. I have to take you up on that lemon offer.. Will try and figure out a time that works ;)

14. i love all of this embarrassing childhood story ammo i get when i visit. why are we so far apart..i want to have a lemonade/mime stand this afternoon.

• Haha does this mean you want to take the “don’t talk to people” to the extreme in our lemonade stand venture? Let me know if you want to go into business – I’ll draw up contracts.

15. Julia says:

Oh heck yes, you should 200% open a lemonade stand and serve these lemon meringue s’mores! Seriously, these treats are brilliant! Love that lemon curd, and now I’m in the mood for a roasty toasty marshmallow!

• Thank you so much, Julia! I’m actually kind of sad that I already ate all of these marshmallows. Maybe if the dissertation thing doesn’t pan out, I’ll open up this lemon venture;)

16. Jill says:

Oh these look delicious! Love anything with lemon curd, but with shortbread AND marshmallows…yum! Can’t think of anything I would like to eat more!

17. So glad I stumbled upon your awesome site and this delicious looking recipe!

Ah, those were the days…when parents felt comfortable letting their children roam free in the neighborhood! These look amazing by the way!! Way better than the things you two would pull out of my cabinet to sell to unsuspecting neighbors! ;)

19. Wow, I am loco for lemons so this is my absolute favorite s’mores recipe ever! Love the gluten free shortbread crust too and with the lemon curd your lemon meringue marshmallows? Just genius lady :)

20. These s’mores look insane! I absolutely adore lemon curd and just know that I would devour a couple of these in no time! Just gorgeous. I’ll definitely be roasting marshmallows stove-style soon since it’s already too cold in MN for a campfire ;)

21. These are just brilliant! I would definitely stop my car and pull over to buy one of these… ;)

22. Coming from Australia.. I have shamefully never tried a smore before! Sarah, you definitely have inspired me to go out and try and recreate this recipe.

23. Coming up for air after finishing your wedding post part 2 and your proposal. You guys are so cute I want to die.

Also, you are bringing these Smores to Stockton right? Because Smores are a totally logical and travel friendly food item for a press trip. LEMON. you are my life.

• Oh my gosh you are too sweet. I think you’re the first person to actually read through my entire wedding post – you just made my day!

Absolutely. I’ll pack one up for each blogger – they won’t be soggy or sticky at all.

24. These s’mores look wonderful! I’m totally jealous of your lemon tree and super cool torch.

When I was a kid, we lived on a cul-de-sac. It was the worst location for a lemonade stand. The only customer I ever got was my dad when he came home from work!

25. Oh my, these s’mores look unreal! That lemon curd and those gorgeous marshmallows? Need it all, please. Pinned!

26. Oh yum! These look so amazing!! xx

27. I swear, my eyes wanted to cross reading this post, these sound like THE BEST s’mores ever! I am actually one that nowadays just roasts the marshmallow and calls it good. But these! These are amazing! : ) Visualizing your childhood lemonade stand gave me a good chuckle! Pinnnnnned!

• I’m totally with you! I could do without the graham crackers & chocolate. These lemon s’mores are everything I love about s’mores and then some. Thanks for sharing, Crystal! (And for reading!:)

28. mira says:

The idea of these s’mores is just fabulous and hmmm a lemon meringue s’mores stand sounds perfect ! Still a little jealous of your lemon tree :) I got a lot of lemon inspiration after your last 2 posts Sarah :)

29. Maria says:

This instantly reminded me of a fantastic article that Michele Humes wrote that ALSO came with a recipe for lemon smores! It was an ode to not being a chocolate lover and I have always wanted to make lemon smores since then: http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2009/11/whats-wrong-with-chocolate/29326/

These look SOOOO GOOD.

• What a fantastic find, Maria! Thank you so much for sharing the link – I agree with everything she writes here. I’m always turned off by the overabundance of chocolate desserts on restaurant menus and would opt for something tangy and acidic any day. What a funny coincidence!

30. I will happily take all the extra Meyer lemons off your hand! Unfortunately, I live a little bit far away and you would have to ship them to me :) I love this creative take on smores! It is finally getting to be fire pit weather here, which means smores weather and I will keep these ones in mind!

• This gives me an idea – I should open an meyer lemon shop on Etsy;) Ha!

Thank you so much! I wish it were fire pit weather here already! It was 90°F in our house today…YIKES

31. laura says:

these look so delicious! I love lemon flavoured stuff, and these smores look fantastic

32. 1) You rock! These are so creative and such a cool take on s’mores!
    2) My wife would love me extra if I made these for her. She LOVES lemon meringue everything.
    3) Thanks for including my s’mores sundae!
    4) I’m pinning the heck out of this
    5) Do you do mail order for meyer lemons?! hahahaha… I’d seriously take you up on it!

• 1. Blush
      2. You should definitely make them for her! Brownie points. Or….s’mores points?
      3. Thank YOU for the s’more inspiration!
      4. Wahoo! Thanks!
      5. Unfortunately I don’t offer delivery. Pick-up only. BETTER COME TO CALIFORNIA!

33. What a story! This is too precious and it makes me wish there were home videos of the statue posing to share.

Thank you for this incredible and original s’mores recipe. LOVE the summery twist!

xx Katie
    lovely letters

34. rachel says:

wow what a great idea! lemon meringue pie is my all time fav!

35. 1. I adore you. YOU ARE THE CUTEST.
    2. I had smores this weekend and we couldn’t use regular graham crackers because we were in gluten-free company and basically I had a mouth of toasty marshmallow with some chocolate poked in which doesn’t SOUND that bad, but when you compare it to this FANTASTIC DELICIOUSNESS I can’t even properly EXPRESS how sad my experience was.

• The feeling is SO mutual, my lovely friend.

I mean, you really can’t go wrong with toasty marshmallows, but NEXT TIME you know you’ve got a gluten-free alternative:) Maybe we should make s’mores at our slumber party (see me enticing you here??)

36. Christie says:

Yum! E was just asking for shortbread cookies. I tried from a gluten-free mix once, and they just weren’t worth the work. I’m sure yours are!

PS – those ugly little boogers always eat our tangerines. I guess we’re lucky they leave the lemons alone!