Vegan Strawberry Coconut Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

Vegan Strawberry Coconut Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

When I opened the freezer for what was about to be my second “reward” bowl of this vegan strawberry coconut chocolate chip ice cream the other night, I thought about how much I loved my mom. Every day since making this ice cream, I’ve “rewarded myself” with a scoop two to three times a day for writing even just one new word. Procrastination, meet Gluttony. On Monday, though, I hesitated finishing off the last of the ice cream – to leave a couple of bites for my mom.

Vegan Strawberry Ice Cream with Aloha Chocolate ChunksVegan Strawberry Coconut Ice Cream

My mom interpreted the status of my chores in my last post as a cry for help and drove three hours to show up just when I was barely remembering how to feed myself. Thank goodness for moms, right? You know that stage when you’ve just had your first baby and you’re trying to get all settled in, but the baby’s up crying all night and you haven’t slept in weeks? And probably your spouse has to work long hours and – when was the last time you showered anyway?

I don’t, but I’ve heard about it.

Then, in a grand hero-like gesture, your mom shows up at just the right moment to help with life. Because sometimes life is just hard.

Vegan Strawberry Coconut Ice Cream

We’re at that stage with my dissertation-baby. It’s keeping me up all night crying (only I’m the one crying). Maybe I’m the one keeping it up all night crying. Lucas is in China (in unison: again?!) and even with the bare minimum of showers, life piled up. In an act that made me reflect on just how lucky I am, my mom swooped in with a big bowl of chili, promising to take care of my sauce-splattered floors, stack of dishes, and Mount Everest laundry installation.

So while I contemplated just how big of a reward scoop I needed, I thought about how much I love my mom.

One small scoop of this vegan strawberry coconut chocolate chip ice cream – that’s how much I love my mom. Just a couple bites though because this ice cream is that freakin’ good.

I didn’t save any for my husband though, so what’s that say?

Vegan Strawberry Coconut Chocolate Chip Ice CreamHomemade Vegan Strawberry Coconut Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

If you’re skeptical about the coconut in this recipe, don’t be. For how much of a starring role coconut plays as the base of this ice cream, it takes a backseat to the sweetest juiciest strawberries swirled throughout, adding just a hint of tropical coconut flavor. When I gave Lucas a bite of the pre-frozen soft-serve ice cream just before he left, he had no idea there was coconut in it or that it was vegan. The coconut cream adds just enough fat to make this the smoothest, creamiest, dreamiest vegan ice cream ever.

Vegan Strawberry Coconut Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Scoop

And studded with Aloha’s vegan superfood chocolate, this ice cream adds a bit of healthy to your dessert routine, while still tasting just as decadent.

When the travel stars aligned, Alanna and I got to join Mimi – one of the creatives behind Aloha’s superfood chocolate – over dinner at a vegan Mexican eatery when she was passing through SF, where were got to see the booming passion behind the Aloha products firsthand. Made with fair-trade organic ingredients, Aloha chocolate is free of gluten, soy, dairy, and artificial flavors. This chocolate is the real deal.

Sweetened with coconut sugar and made with raw coconut flakes, this chocolate flavor profile is made for a vegan coconut ice cream. Plus it’s loaded with superfood greens … so two to three scoops a day basically counts toward your vegetables, right?

Homemade Strawberry Coconut Chocolate Chip Ice CreamThanks for reading Snixy Kitchen! To stay up on what’s coming out of my kitchen,  follow me on Facebook, Instagram, TwitterBloglovin’, or Pinterest, or subscribe via e-mail to get new recipes right to your inbox.

Vegan Strawberry Coconut Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
Yields: 2 quarts
  • 2 cups chopped organic strawberries
  • 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
  • ½ cup plus 3 tablespoons raw turbinado sugar, divided
  • 1 (14-ounce) can coconut cream (Available at Trader Joe's or online)
  • 1 (13.66-ounce) can full fat coconut milk (Thai Kitchens brand available at most major grocery stores or online)
  • 2 tablespoons light corn syrup*
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil
  • 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and scraped (or 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract) (I use Rodelle vanilla beans)
  • 5 ounces Aloha superfood chocolate, chopped
  1. Stir the chopped strawberries, lemon juice, and 3 tablespoons of turbinado sugar together in a medium bowl. Use a fork for a potato masher to mash the strawberries together just a bit. Cover and set the bowl in the fridge to let the strawberries macerate while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
  2. Warm coconut cream, coconut milk, remaining ½ cup of sugar, corn syrup, coconut oil, and vanilla bean seeds and pod in a medium pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally. When the cream begins to simmer, remove the pot from heat. Cover and let the mixture steep for 20 minutes. Remove the bean pod and reserve it to make vanilla extract.
  3. Meanwhile, prepare an ice bath by filling a large bowl with ice cubes and water.
  4. Pour the cream and all but ¼ cup of the macerated strawberries into a blender or food processor and purée until smooth. Strain and reserve the remaining ¼ cup of strawberries.
  5. Pour the puréed mixture into a large 1-gallon Ziploc bag. Seal it and submerge the mixture in the ice bath until cold, about 30 minutes.
  6. Pour the strawberry ice cream base into the bowl of your pre-frozen ice cream maker. Follow the directions on your ice cream maker to churn the base into ice cream, until it is the consistency of soft-serve, about 15 minutes. Add the chopped chocolate and remaining ¼ cup of drained chopped strawberries and churn just until evenly incorporated throughout, 3 more minutes.
  7. Pack the ice cream into an air-tight storage container or a metal loaf pan, pressing a sheet of parchment paper directly against the ice cream.
  8. Freeze until firm, at least 4 hours, but preferably overnight.
*You can replace the corn syrup with 2 tablespoons more raw turbinado sugar if you want, but the result will be less creamy. The corn syrup in this recipe makes the ice cream more smooth and less icy.

Disclosure: Thanks to Aloha for sponsoring this post! Please rest-assured that all opinions expressed here are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that keep Snixy Kitchen cooking.

Filed Under: , , , ,

1. June Burns says:

Wow that looks so delicious and refreshing! Love that it’s vegan too. I keep meaning to try coconut milk ice cream, so maybe I’ll just save this recipe for later :)

2. Jenna says:

Strawberry ice cream with chocolate chunks in it? MMmmmm … sign me up! I must try making ice cream with coconut milk too. Usually, I just use regular milk. :)

3. You have the nicest Mama (well, except for MY mom, who is also pretty great)! And, this ice cream looks so so so so so so good. Good enough that I’m actually tempted to bust out my ice cream maker (which I have literally never used since I bought it)…orrrrr, maybe you can just over night some to me?!?!

4. Ice cream twinning right now! I love your ice cream scoop. And the ice cream. And the photographs. Everythingggg

5. Nicole says:

How are you managing to cook these beautiful things and post about them right now?? Amazing! Also–LUCAS COME HOME!!!! I’m about to introduce your wife to a really nice guy I know …

Thank you very much for saving me a scoop, it was truly amazing! It was worth the 3 hour drive and all the chores! It’d dub this “love in a scoop”!

7. Nancy says:

Alright Sarah. Fill me in on the details of where you’re buying your strawberries. They look so plump, vibrant and super juicy. Mine are hard, and watery. :(

8. Aren’t moms just the best? I couldn’t live without mine. Lucky she only lives 5 minutes away. Glad your mom is there to help you in the final stages of your dissertation. Cheering for you friend! You’re amazing! And so is the ice cream. I love coconut milk ice cream, such great flavor, and I can eat it without the guilt. Love your vegan version.

9. This is perfection, Sarah, and yes, go for that next bowl, for dissertation’s sake and don’t worry, you can make more for Lucas. I’m certain he’ll understand. So sweet of your mom to swoop in just when you need it. Mom’s are good at that, without even asking. Love. Your strawberries, your photography and this luscious, creamy, chocolatey ice cream. I can’t wait to make this, Sarah! Beautiful post….. and the fact that you whipped this out in the midst of your dissertation is sheer super-power! I’m cheering you on, Love! xo

• It’s definitely ALL GONE now and he’s still not back. I loved it so much that I have to make more (for myself! but I’ll give him a scoop, I SUPPOSE). Haha. Thank you so much for your sweet words – and your encouragement!

10. Oh this ice cream looks so delicious!!

11. Mums are the greatest. My Mum is still my ‘person’ even though I have a boyfriend and a few really close friends. She is the one who will still drop everything to make me the centre of her universe (my Dad is pretty great too I should add).
    And they both happen to love strawberry ice cream and chocolate. So this ice cream is the perfect way to say thank you. Even though there might be a few scoops missing before they get to eat it ;)
    Hey! They did tell me to eat my vegetables! ;)

• Aw – I totally agree. I was telling my mom how stressed I was when she got here and she said, “you can always call me, you know.” But sometimes I just FORGET! Fortunately moms just know, right? I hope you make this bowl of love for your parents;)

12. How sweet is your mom!?!?! And you? Hang in there baby! :)

Gorgeous ice cream, btw. I can’t believe it’s vegan…

13. Sarah this looks amazing!!! That Aloha chocolate seems too good to be true but I bet it’s super tasty! we’ve been making simple vanilla ice cream at home and now i’m excited to add this recipe to try out. Especially since I just bought a ton of organic strawberries at the farmers market!

• The chocolate is SOOOOO good, Lisa. Highly recommend it – I’ve never had any chocolate like it actually. I would love to hear if you try your hand at this ice cream! Also – I’m going to e-mail you this week to get coffee/tea!

14. Alanna says:

Gimme all the ice cream!! I’m so glad I got to try a bowl of this (and I didn’t even have to mop the floors). Best ice cream ever, vegan or no. I can’t wait to make some procrastination gluttony to stress-eat myself. :-)

• You have done your fair share of dishes though;) This is the sweetest comment ever – I’m so glad you loved it! Thank you so much! I’m not even stressed, but I’m going to make more and eat it all in a week again. I’m a pig.

15. Amanda Paa says:

it’s no surprise how sweet and caring you are with a mom like that. isn’t unconditional love the best? i had a similar experience with my dad this week, when he drove quite a ways to help me with my taxes, which i was freaking out about, and brought me two dozen tulips. it was exactly what i needed…..

this ice cream just sings delicious. and your pictures are stunning. you can tell just how creamy, dreamy it is. i really need to try aloha chocolate, I’ve heard so many people mention great things about it. superfood chocolate has a nice ring to it. :)

16. this looks amazing and refreshing! love the flavour combination :)

17. Melissa says:

Can we just talk about how lusciously perfect those strawberries are? Holla at strawberry season being here at last!

a href=””>

18. Aw man~~Wish I could give you a huuuuge hug right now, Sarah! But then I’m glad your mom did that for you anyway. :D It’s amazing how blessed we are with the few committed, loyal, and selfless people in our lives, that sometimes we need that reminder.

And about this ice cream~~omgnesss it’s beaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuutiful and so delish!!! Why you so talented huhhh??????

19. Aren’t moms great? Love strawberry ice cream and now, although it’s not even 9 am I am totally craving some. But it’s never too early for ice cream, is it?

20. Julia says:

I’m obsessed with coconut milk ice cream, and this looks like pure perfection! All that strawberry flavor? Just pinch me! I’ve had Aloha chocolate before and love the stuff – it’d be perfect for a chocolate chunk ice cream. Hope you had a great weekend, m’dear!

21. Your photos! And that cute chocolate! I’m seriously swooning over the gorgeousness of your food photography and styling and that ice cream…serious talent right there. Pinned, and saved, and need to try this!

22. Awwww….mom’s are just the best! So sweet! And ice cream is the second best. These photos are just gorgeous! XO

23. Annie says:

pink ice cream? i’m in! ;)

24. Moms do rock… I can always count on mine and it sounds like you have a fantastic one yourself :) This ice cream… it sounds amazing. Asheley has been all about strawberry ice cream lately, so I need to make this for her! And your photos are absolutely GORGEOUS!!

25. So sweet to have a mama who swoops in when you need her. I love that!
    And Sarah, I’ve gotta tell you… I think you’ve outdone yourself with these photos… the light, the propping, the ice cream…. so spot on gorgoeus! Every one of them!

26. Oh my GOSH this looks so perfect! Strawberry, coconut, and chocolate chip – what a delicious combination!

27. Alana says:

Yay for mamas! Your mom sounds awesome. What a sweetheart driving over to help you so you could focus on your dissertation (congrats on the first draft again). And LOL to not saving any for your hubz. I kinda love it (hehe). Almost as much as I love this ice cream and you incentivizing yourself with reward scoops!!

28. Connie says:

such beautiful photos and delicious recipe!!! I don’t think I can go another minute without shoveling some ice cream into my mouth.

29. This makes me want to run out and buy an ice cream make right this second! But then I remember that my freezer is literally the size of a shoebox. Maybe I’ll try something like this in popsicle form because I really miss ice cream dearly since cutting back on dairy. And thank goodness for moms :) She sounds wonderful!

30. Your mother sounds awesome. . she drove 3 hrs just to come over and check on you and help out? Now, that’s love. Dude, I love your mom after reading this. And Sarah, this vegan strawberry coconut chocolate chip ice cream is gorgeous!!!!

31. So awesome of your mom to come and save the day! :) I was dairy free for a while (baby stuff), and coconut milk ice cream was my *favorite* alternative. I was actually planning to make some coconut milk ice cream this week, but not these flavors. I think my family would be all over this one. Also, that restaurant sounds awesome…I’m currently drooling over the menu.

32. Kate says:

Oh my goodness, I can’t stop admiring these beautiful photos! I LOVE coconut-based ice creams and your strawberry choc chip looks phenomenal!

33. I literally have almost the exact same recipe but without coconut oil – how crazy is that? Great minds think alike :)

34. What it says to ME is that LUCAS IS GOING TO CHINA TOO OFTEN. :)

Also, he got a spoon of the pre-mix WHICH IS BASICALLY THE SAME THING.

(YOUR MOM. She’s a wonderful, wonderful person.)

35. Soooooo, I impulsively bought an ice-cream maker the other day. I am so excited to make your ice-cream recipe (amongst the million others that will inevitably be made). I feel like a child again, teehee.
    And best of luck with the dissertation, Sarah! I finished all of my comprehensive exams a few weeks ago (in lieu of a thesis), and will be graduating in a few weeks. And on my birthday, no less! You can do it!!!
    Alice x

• Yess! Best impulse buy EVER! I’m totally making this ice cream again this weekend, but just plain vanilla bean ice cream. I’ve made like 5 batches of ice cream in the past 2 weeks (I might have a problem…). Also – thank you! Congrats on all your comps!!! I wonder if our graduation is the same day – May 18th?? We’re in the home stretch (but since you finished your comps does that mean you’re done done and just waiting for graduation??)

• Haha, there is never a problem when it comes to making ice-cream! Wish you could send me over some (cheaply) without it melting. I can’t wait to get the ice-cream maker. We can have competitions to see who makes the most batches (gaining 10 pounds in a week may become a real possibility)!
        Ah, our graduation dates are extremely close – mine is May 22nd. I had to take one more seminar this semester in addition to my comps so not quite done yet, but will be all finished on the 19th. Only 2 presentations and a paper to go, so it isn’t too bad! Like you said, we are in the home stretch wahoooooo. Good luck to you :) :)

36. robyn says:

hi! the ice cream looks amazing! i have a question-the coconut cream cans are 5.4 oz
    and your recipe calls for one 14 oz can. Do they make the coconut cream in that size or should measure it out from these little cans?

can’t wait to make this!!

• Thanks! The coconut cream cans that I buy are 14 ounces – which I find at Trader Joes. If you can only find the smaller cans, I would use 2.5 cans, which will be 13.5 ounces and will work just perfectly! Goodluck:)