Last updated on April 16th, 2019
I never go to the grocery store without a plan. Sometimes that means sitting in my parked car in the market parking lot searching for recipes and jotting down a last-minute shopping list on my phone. Without a list, I’ll go to the store for strawberries, whipped cream, and vanilla, but end up walking out with a box of fruit snacks and chips instead. It’s like going to the grocery store hungry. Except all the time. Shopping lists simultaneously allow me to distribute my cognition so I remember the things I actually need for a recipe, while preventing my snack-fiend stomach from guiding me directly to the ice cream and chips.
Here’s the thing about meal planning and shopping lists though. About 90% of the time you end up with exactly what you need: no unhealthy impulse snacks and very little waste at the end of the week. The other 10% of the time, you decide you’re too tired, or you’re too lazy, or you just don’t feel like eating the delicious and healthy meal you sketched out several days before when you couldn’t possibly predict what you’d be craving more than 24 hours later. Generally this means: I want sushi more than anything other meal you could put in front of me.
When this happens, you head out to eat your body weight in kanpachi nigiri, and then come home and turn the ingredients you bought for a light mint cantaloupe gazpacho into a creamy mint cantaloupe ice cream. Ice cream was always a better choice anyhow.
One can say then that this ice cream was inspired by gazpacho. For our one-year wedding anniversary a couple of weeks ago, we decided that instead of a weekend getaway, we’d save our pennies for a fancy meal at Quince. Lucas and I each ordered two different 9-course tasting menus, but because we shared every dish, we really ended up with an 18-course dinner.
And then needed to be rolled home after because we were stuffed. Stuffed in the “my taste buds are dancing and my stomach is on cloud nine” kind of way. One dessert was a hard candy bubble shell filled with frozen lychee cream and berries, and decorated with gold leaf. Now we know what Iggy means by, “I’m so fancy. Can’t you taste this gold?” Another highlight was a small pre-dinner mint cantaloupe gazpacho that I wished I could swim in all summer long.
So I promptly added it to the weekly meal plan. And then turned it into ice cream instead. One of my favorite ice cream flavors to date.
Until I moved back to California, I thought I hated cantaloupe. What I actually hated was the tough, bland chunks of unripe cantaloupe used as filler in the bottom of a packaged fruit salad/cup. Anyone else with me on this one? It’s terrible.
Farm fresh organic cantaloupe from the local produce market is soft and juicy, and pops with flavor. Just half a small cantaloupe gives a melony undertone, while a bit of mint and lime harmonize to create a refreshing summer bite. And because cantaloupe is high in potassium, this mint cantaloupe ice cream is bound to make you feel stress-free all summer long. Base adapted from Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams
Ice cream base
Ice cream base
Base adapted from Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams