Gluten-free Chestnut Flour Pasta Ravioli with Goat Cheese and Spring Vegetables

Gluten-free Chestnut Flour Pasta Ravioli with Goat Cheese and Spring Vegetables

I’m notorious for using every square inch of surface area within reach while I’m cooking. Including the couch. Nothing is off-limits when good food is involved. When I first started making ravioli from scratch (pre gluten-free days), counter space in our 26-square foot kitchen was limited. Finished baking sheets of fresh ravioli spread out all across the living room as I rolled out the dough (by hand) on the coffee table.

Also spread out all across our living room? A thin dusting of flour.

Even with a much larger kitchen, I still managed to toss flour around the dining room while making today’s gluten-free chestnut flour pasta ravioli. Pro tip: when you drop an egg into a well of flour from a couple of feet above, the light delicate flour will puff all over you. At least now the chestnut flour leaves a sweet toasty scent behind as it cloaks the room.

For this ravioli recipe, Alanna from The Bojon Gourmet and I teamed up to dabble in food video again to show off the sexy curves of fresh sheets of pasta. Here’s our second video: How to Ravioli.

(To see our first video collaboration, check out our How to Sushi video here!)

Don’t think for one second that I’m as graceful as I appear while making ravioli. With an eye for beautiful shadows, Alanna suggested we make the pasta dough by dropping the eggs into a well in the middle of a sifted flour dome. Rustic, right? Probably what the pros do.

Gluten-Free Chestnut Flour PastaGluten-Free Chestnut Flour Pasta DoughGluten-Free Chestnut Flour Pasta Kneading

What you don’t see is the moment I forgot about basic fluid dynamics and I pressed down one side of the dome with a fork, creating an eggy volcanic eruption – an eggsplosion. Whisked egg flooded the table and floor as I desperately tried to dam it up with my hands. That doesn’t work, guys. The egg just seeps right through your fingers.

If you’re more dexterous than I am, then by all means, try your hand at the flour dome, but if you’re prone to flour in your hair, I recommend a bowl to keep that egg in check.

Gluten-Free Chestnut Flour Pasta RollingGluten-Free Chestnut Flour Pasta RollingGluten-Free Chestnut Flour Pasta Sheets

This recipe for chestnut flour pasta comes from the Alternative Flours Feastly meal Phi and I dished up last month. With Phi’s plating wizardry, we fed 14 people – including ourselves – six plated dishes, and I now have mad respect for chefs because hot damn! – I could barely stand up by the end of the night.

Next up, Phi and I will share the recipe for wild rice and black sesame crackers along with Jessica‘s pictures of our day-of dinner prep. But first, I’ll whet your appetite with the gorgeous shots Alanna took during the meal (like seriously – who knew someone could make food look so good at night with overhead lights and a strobe?). Click the slide show to scroll through each dish from our menu.

Previous Image
Next Image

info heading

info content

The meal brought a medley of folks from all parts of our lives around one table to share a feast – not much tops that.

Except maybe this chestnut flour pasta. (Just don’t try to drop 14 servings of hand-cut pasta triangles into a pot of boiling water at one time, or you’ll end up with way too many uncooked stuck-together pasta stacks. Not that I would know or anything…).

Spring VegetablesSpring Vegetables Ravioli Filling

The texture of chestnut flour pasta is as pliable and sturdy as traditional pasta, but with so much more flavor. The pasta cooks up silky and smooth with a sweet nuttiness that makes it pair best with a savory or salty topping or filling to balance it out.

Gluten-Free Chestnut Flour Pasta RavioliGluten-Free Chestnut Flour Pasta Ravioli FillingGluten-Free Chestnut Flour Pasta RavioliGluten-Free Chestnut Flour Pasta RavioliGluten-Free Chestnut Flour Pasta Ravioli

For the Alternative Flours meal, we served up the hand-cut pasta triangles with braised shiitake mushrooms, deep-fried celery root, a truffle salted sous-vide egg yolk and crispy enoki straws. This time around we took inspiration from the spring vegetables barreling into the market. Silky fresh chestnut flour ravioli filled with pockets of baby artichoke hearts, green garlic, goat cheese, parmesan, and a bit of tarragon, all sitting in a pea shoot vegetable broth with fresh peas, and garnished with fresh herbs, parmesan, and crispy enoki mushroom straws. Whew!

I thought about making that the title of this post because each ingredient deserves a diva moment – Go PEAS, it’s your birthday!

Spring Vegetables Ravioli with Spring VegetablesSpring Vegetables Ravioli with Spring Vegetables

If simplicity is more your thing, you can swap out the filling for whatever you want (did somebody say cheese??) or turn this chestnut flour pasta into fettuccine. While the video may seem like fresh pasta ravioli is quite the process, I assure you that Lucas and I used to make fresh pasta on weeknights back when I barely knew how to cook.

Gluten-free Chestnut Flour Pasta FettuccineGluten-free Chestnut Flour Pasta Fettuccine

The recipe for the chestnut flour pasta sheets and ravioli technique is below, and you can find the recipe for the filling and broth along with Alanna’s take on the day over at The Bojon Gourmet!

Gluten-free Chestnut Flour Pasta Ravioli with Goat Cheese and Spring VegetablesGluten-free Chestnut Flour Pasta Ravioli with Goat Cheese and Spring VegetablesGluten-free Chestnut Flour Pasta Ravioli with Goat Cheese and Spring Vegetables

*All photos and video were styled and shot in collaboration with Alanna.

For more gluten-free pasta inspiration, check out our Gluten-free Chickpea Pasta Pappardelle collaboration!

Gluten-free Chestnut Flour Pasta Ravioli
Yields: 4 servings
Gluten-free Chestnut Flour Pasta
  1. Whisk the chestnut flour, tapioca starch, sweet rice flour, and xanthan gum into a large bowl.
  2. Create a well in the middle of the flour and crack three eggs into the well. Add the olive oil and salt.
  3. Use a fork to lightly whisk the eggs together in the middle of the well, then begin mixing it all together with the flour.
  4. Once it's well mixed, use your hands to knead until it forms a dough. If the the mixture feels too dry, add ½ teaspoon of water at a time while kneading. Knead until dough is smooth and elastic, but not very sticky. If you find it too sticky, add another teaspoon of chestnut flour until it reaches the desired texture.
  5. Roll the dough into a ball, wrap it in plastic, and let it rest for 30 minutes.
  6. Meanwhile prepare your filling and sauce. Find the recipe for the Goat Cheese and Spring Vegetable Ravioli shown in the pictures above at The Bojon Gourmet.
  7. Bring 4-quarts of water to boil in a large pot with a teaspoon of salt and a splash of olive oil.
  8. After letting the dough rest, cut dough into 6 equal pieces.
  9. Use your hands to press one piece at a time on a chestnut-floured surface until it is about ¼-inch thick, reserving the other pieces in plastic wrap under a towel.
  10. With a pasta roller or rolling pin, roll out each piece into a thin sheet, lightly dusting both sides with chestnut flour as you go. If using the KitchenAid pasta roller attachment, send the dough through setting 1, fold it in half, then send it again. Repeat until it feeds through smooth, then reduce the thickness one stop at a time, dusting the pasta sheet lightly with chestnut flour, until you get to a 4, which is the setting before the pasta begins to get paper thin.
  11. Use a knife or the smooth edge of a pastry wheel to trim the edges of the pasta sheet so they are smooth and the sheet is an even width all the way down, 3-4 inches. Dust both sides lightly with chestnut flour and set aside, while you repeat with the remaining dough.Roll the trimmed edges up with the next piece of dough.
  12. Cut into strips for fettuccine or pappardelle, or read below on how to make hand-cut ravioli.
  1. Cut the pasta sheet in half cross-wise so you have two wide sheets that are the same length.
  2. Whisk the remaining egg with 1 tablespoon of water.
  3. Lay two sheets of the same length down on your floured surface. Spoon 2 teaspoons of filling at a time onto one sheet, leaving 1-2 inches between each ball of filling. Lightly brush the edges of this pasta sheet with the egg wash. Lightly brush the egg wash between each filling mound.
  4. Lay the second sheet of pasta over the top and gently press down to cover the filling. Press out all of the air and gently press the edges and around each mound to secure the sheets together. Use a ravioli stamp, a pastry wheel, or a knife to cut the strip into ravioli squares. Repeat with the remaining pasta sheets.
  5. Drop the ravioli into the boiling water and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Gently scoop out the ravioli with a slotted spoon.
  6. Top with pea broth, herbs, parmesan, and enoki straws and serve. Get the recipe for the filling and broth pictured above from The Bojon Gourmet.

Thanks for reading Snixy Kitchen! To stay up on what’s coming out of my kitchen, follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Bloglovin‘, Pinterest, or subscribe via e-mail to get new recipes right to your inbox.

Filed Under: , , , , , , , , ,

1. Jenna says:

Love the pictures! Now I want to make pasta.

2. Girl, your photography just keeps getting more and more insanely gorgeous! And, I would eat SO many of those ravioli…make me some, please :D

3. Love your photography! I’ve been meaning to buy a pasta machine for ages now specifically to make my own ravioli. I think you’ve convinced me. :)

• Thanks you! It’s my most-used Kitchenaid attachment – I love how versatile it is and how quickly it can roll out the pasta into fresh sheets! I hope you finally get the one on your wishlist:)

4. cynthia says:

Love this collab SO MUCH, Sarah!!! Both of your descriptions of the pasta have me dying to try chestnut pasta like, five minutes ago. And these gorgeous photos, that video — all perfection. (Also, I am totally prone to the egg volcano too — it’s only bowls for me!) This is so amazing!

5. Sarah, you need to let me know the next time you’re hosting a Feastly dinner! I would love to go and taste some of your delicious creations! That meal you and Phi put together looked great!

• Thanks, Lisa! I was so stressed about this one that I only passively put it on FB and didn’t really tell folks:) If I ever do another, I’ll be sure to spread the word!

6. suki says:

your video makes it look so easy, but i know that the very few times i’ve tried to use the pasta attachment, i felt like i didn’t have enough hands to hold everything! :P everything looks so rustic and gorgeous!

7. todd wagner says:

Best looking pasta I’ve ever seen, gluten-free or otherwise. You’re a pasta pro…there’s no denying it :)

8. Sarah! This recipe! These photos! Everything is just so beautiful and thoughtful. What a perfect spring dish. You are a constant inspiration : )

9. Whaaat? Even without the chestnut flour, you would have had me at “goat cheese ravioli”. Does chestnut flour behave similarly to almond flour? I’m thinking I need to grab myself a bag of that.

• I’ve still never made almond flour pasta before, but from working with almond flour for other things, I find chestnut flour to be a finer grain that’s a lot more dry than almond flour. It also has quite a bit of elasticity to it! I really love chestnut flour for it’s baking quality and it’s nutty sweet flavor.

10. Every time you and Alanna get together I think, “Nothing could ever be more beautiful.” And then you do another one and I’m proven wrong.

11. too gorgeous to eat i say!!!

12. I’m absolutely infatuated with these videos! You are Alanna are so talented individually, but together you’re just too charming to ignore. More more more! (And this pasta? PEAS ALWAYS! Love.) xo – Em

• In our 3am delirium after making the video, we’d high-fived on the idea of making a sausage video next….until we thought it through. Haha. We’ve got a growing list of future vids though! I hear you’re in the South Bay – we should meet up for tea or lunch or peas sometime!

13. Magic happens when you and Alanna work together! I just love these photos and the video makes me want to pull up a chair in the kitchen and watch you ladies do your gorgeous kitchen goddess dance :)
    I am curious to try chestnut flour (and try to track it down here in Australia) because that pasta looks like it has such divine texture. Ravioli makes a perfect rainy Sunday afternoon activity!
    P.S. Fluid dynamics are boring anyway – and kitchen stories make for extra fun at the dinner table once you are eating the meal ;)

• You’re welcome to come visit and pull up a chair any time…but I can’t promise you won’t be covered in flour after;) I’m obsessed with chestnut flour now, so I hope you’re able to track some down!

14. I hope you two continue making these delightful videos – both have been beautiful and fun to watch! I am so excited by the idea of making my own pasta and have been meaning to try since your chickpea flour pasta was posted, but haven’t yet. Now I’m thinking that this chestnut pasta needs to go to the top of my list of things to make! This is totally gorgeous, and your stories are so funny to read :)
    Also! Amazing job on the Feastly dinner Sarah, it looks like everything was amazing!

15. GiGi Eats says:

I need to BITE the bullet and get some chestnut flour!!! I ADORE chestnuts! :)

16. you are a pasta making queen! this look incredible!

17. This post is EPIC. The pictures the video and how dang delicious those ravioli look. Well done, my friend!

18. I love the style of your video, it’s like a cross between an old school home movie and a silent film. It kind of reminds me of the Wonder Years a little bit…. Love, love, love it! And so does my two-year-old Kelsey. She was in awe of the pasta making process – she actually made me replay it for her 7 times in a row… haha

• Sharon! This comment is the absolute sweetest! I forwarded it to Alanna as soon as I got the notification because it made me smile so big. I grew up on the Wonder Years, so that’s an amazing compliment. I love that Kelsey kept replaying the video – I bet she’ll grow up to be an awesome cook like her mom!

Just love this post! Wonderful photos and totally takes me back to Grandma Ramonda making her homemade ravioli! Which I did make with her once and I have her recipe in her handwriting, which is a treasure!

20. Amanda Paa says:

so so lovely. and so so fun! there is nothing quite like making homemade gluten-free pasta. it is so gratifying even though it takes a little elbow grease. i would love to try your chestnut version, and the spring peas give the perfect freshness. i can’t wait to come out and play with you guys! xo

21. OMG. Sarah!!! I watched the video and I was mesmerized. Captivated. Did you know I have a pasta roller that I’ve never used as a wedding gift? I keep meaning to, but fresh pasta is intimidating… You and Alana made a work of art with this video and photos. Beautiful. I loved when she cracked the first egg and it went PLOP and flour flew everywhere. Just loved it!

22. Emily says:

Simply stunning! Feeling inspired to get my pasta machine out and make ravioli now. :) These photos are so cozy, elegant, and warm. Love!

23. This is so COOL! This was such a fun post to read. Homemade pasta is one of my favorite things to make. This looks so delicious. Definitely going on my list! And the filling looks heavenly.

24. This video is so beautiful!! Ravioli with fresh seasonal vegetables is my favorite! Looking forward to trying this!

25. Love, love, love this post Sarah! That shot with the sifting flour is fabulous! And, I can’t help but taste this amazing homemade pasta. Girl, you are making me so hungry! Pinned!

26. Kirsten says:

This looks really beautiful and delicious. Great photos!

27. Your photography is stunning, Sarah! And the video is so well composed! I love coming to your site to see such lovey inspiration. Keep it coming!

28. OMG!!!! This post can only described in two words, UBER amazing!!!!!!
    I am in awe by both of your talents, yet again.

29. These photos are so beautiful!! I love your and Alanna’s collaborations – I’m always so excited to see what you two have created. Well done on the Alternative Flours dinner. That is such a fun idea!

30. Mary says:

How did you make the crispy enoki straws?

31. This is sooooooo astoundingly beautiful, ladies!!!! I love the recipe, the process, and all the shots you managed to record. ^_^ What an inspiration, especially since I’ve been meaning to get back to attempting my own pasta again. After I failed miserably a few months ago (learned that I shouldn’t hurry myself esp. if it’s a meal for my entire family!!!!), I think I’m ready to get back in the game. ;) And chestnut flour just looks and sounds way cool.

32. Tammy says:

I am completely in love with your site!

Between your videos, photography and awesome recipes – I’m feeling so inspired! :D

This is such a creative dish…I love it. I really need to get the pasta attachment to my mix master ASAP!

33. Carla says:

These photos! So beautiful! You’re really outdoing yourself, lady. :)

(Also, do you ALSO use every single pot and pan you own when cooking? No? NO? Only Sean, then. ;))

34. Man, you are totally nailing it Sarah. The styling of your photos. The light. The colors. It’s really, truly, utterly amazing. And your video is SO professional. Really impressed, my friend!