Remember when I made that desperate plea for coworkers? Between all of my epic naps, I’ve been begging for friends to come over to force me to cook (somewhat unsuccessfully). With my energy coming back this week, I swindled Todd into agreeing to a work date where I promised to trade off playing with his 1-year old daughter Fiona while we both made and shot our respective drinks – this Sparkling Asian Pear and Mint Iced Tea for me.
Basically I invited myself over before he realized what was happening.
Heck, if we’re being completely honest, Todd practically came up with the inspiration for this drink when I texted him – the local drink master – about how I might go about turning a #cheesebaby-sized pear into a mocktail. The puréeing and the iced tea were both his ideas. All I brought to the party was mint and some fizz.
When I showed up, Todd didn’t have a drink of his own to shoot, but insisted that he was there as my assistant (…while I took full advantage of his entire garageful of barware and mad drink photography skills). How do I manage to find the most generous blogger buds ever?
Fiona just sat by playing with all the lenses in her daddy’s camera bag like it was baby toy box.
My little growing bun in the oven has been baking for about 16 weeks now, making her approximately the size of a large Asian pear. This late summer fruit is just popping up at the market and, when puréed and mixed with mint and iced tea, it’s just the right sip for the transitioning seasons. The pear plays only a minor role to lightly sweeten and thicken the drink while the iced tea and mint take center stage. A little bubbly on top dresses it up into a sparkling iced tea worthy of your next summer party.
Thanks for reading Snixy Kitchen! To stay up on what’s coming out of my kitchen, follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Bloglovin‘, Pinterest, or subscribe via e-mail to get new recipes right to your inbox.
- 6 black tea bags
- 24 ounces boiling water
- 3-4 large Asian Pears, peeled and cored
- 24 mint leaves
- 8 ounces of simple syrup (recipe below)
- 18 ounces sparkling water
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons water
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
- Steep 6 tea bags in 24 ounces of boiling water for 4-5 minutes. Remove the tea bags and refrigerate the tea to chill.
- Prepare the simple syrup. Boil equal parts water want sugar over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and refrigerate the simple syrup.
- Purée the pears until smooth in a blender or food processor. To remove any chunks, squeeze the puréed pears through a cheese cloth or press through a fine metal sieve.
- Pour the pear purée into a pitcher and muddle the mint leaves with the pear purée.
- Stir the chilled black tea and simple syrup into the pear purée and return to the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, stir in 18 ounces of sparkling water and serve over ice.
I mixed up this drink as part of an end of summer virtual boozy bash (and in my case not-boozy) put on by Sherrie & Renee. Check out the full list of cocktails, mocktails, and other end of summer drinks being stirred up around the web below, mix up your favorite one, and let’s #DRINKTHESUMMER, shall we?