To celebrate Halloween (aka pumpkin month) and getting the keys to our new house, I baked up two trays of this black sesame pumpkin mochi cake. Last Wednesday, we chowed on take-out and this mochi cake on folding chairs in our new (empty) house with our good friends Dane & Angi. We’ll have a new address just in time for the next batch of trick-or-treaters.
My aunt just posted this picture from Halloween 1995 to Facebook – that’s me in the middle and my cooky partner-in-crime, Kira, on the left.
You’d think Kira and I were dressed as Tweedledee and Tweedledum, right? Nope! My mom recalls that we rode our bikes to Goodwill and put these masterpieces together ourselves (can you tell?)…
Twin Female Grandpa Nerds. OBVIOUSLY. And surely we corrected people when they misidentified our too-creative-for-your-average-joe costumes. This just barely beats the year I went as Fred Flintstone. (Just putting it out there that Tim Burton’s Tweedles did wear brown trouser pants – eerily derivative of our costumes 20 years earlier…coincidence?).
Ten days until Halloween and we still don’t have clear costume plans this year. Lucas’s company is throwing a Tim Burton Halloween party, so we’re trying to fit within the theme – pregnant-belly style. Leading the list right now is James and the Giant Peach. My belly as the giant peach, embracing the rotundness of my waistline.
What are y’all dressing up as (or dressing your children up as?)?
Just in time to create your own Halloween menu, I’ve joined forced with a ton of outrageously talented bloggers for a virtual pumpkin par-tay! An onslaught of pumpkin coming atchu. I’m bringing this pumpkin mochi cake to the fest.
Gooey chewy orange cake studded with black dots – this cake is Halloween-ready. Pumpkin and black sesame make an unlikely but hard-to-resist pairing of slightly sweet and nutty. Not to mention the texture. I’m addicted to the incredibly chewy and moist mochi center with its cake-y crust on top. I easily hoarded an entire batch all to myself.
- 2 cups sifted sweet rice flour (256g)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup + 2 tablespoons pumpkin purée
- ¾ cup full-fat canned coconut milk
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract (I use Rodelle Organics)
- 2½ - 3 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- Optional: 1 tablespoon powdered sugar, for dusting
- Butter an 8x8 baking pan. Line the pan with parchment paper, folding the paper over the edges, and lightly butter the parchment paper.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sweet rice flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, or in a separate bowl with a hand mixer or hand whisk, mix together the pumpkin purée, coconut milk, eggs, butter, and vanilla until completely smooth.
- Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, and beat vigorously until completely smooth.
- Fold in the black sesame seeds and pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake in on the middle rack of the oven for 75-80 minutes, until the top has developed a slight crust and the mochi is completely set and bounces back when touched.
- Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes before using the parchment paper to transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, at least 25 minutes. Cut into 16 squares. (It’s easiest to cut when cooled, using a knife buttered and dusted with sweet rice flour or potato starch).
- Dust the top of the mochi squares with powdered sugar. Store for up to 3 days in an airtight container at room temperature (the longer they sit, the softer the top crust will get and the powdered sugar might need to be reapplied before serving).
Thanks for reading Snixy Kitchen! To stay up on what’s coming out of my kitchen, follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Bloglovin‘, Pinterest, or subscribe via e-mail to get new recipes right to your inbox.
Pop on over to these 70+ pumpkin recipes to spend the afternoon drooling over Fall’s famed harvest:
B. Britnell • Pumpkin & Goat Cheese Macaroni
A Couple Cooks • Pumpkin Spice Almond Butter
I Am a Food Blog • Roasted Pumpkin and Pork Stuffed Shells
Well and Full • Harissa-Spiced Pumpkin Gnocchi
Loves Food, Loves to Eat • Pumpkin Pork Burrito Bowls
Girl Versus Dough • Pumpkin Challah
Snixy Kitchen • Black Sesame Pumpkin Mochi Cake
Hungry Girl por Vida • Pumpkin Chocolate Crumb Cake
Donuts, Dresses and Dirt • Pumpkin Spice Latte Truffles
Two Red Bowls • Pumpkin & Caramelized Onion Galette
The Frosted Vegan • Dark Chocolate Pumpkin Gingersnaps
Warm Vanilla Sugar • Dulce de Leche Pumpkin Ice Cream + Affogato
An Edible Mosaic • Pumpkin Spice Latte Snack Cake with Brown Butter Buttercream
Kitchen Konfidence • Yeasted Pumpkin Waffles with Candied Ginger
Chocolate + Marrow • Pumpkin Scones with Cinnamon Butter Swirl
The Pig & Quill • Pumpkin Pie Milkshakes with Pumpkin Spice Caramel + Coconut Cream
Salt & Wind • Apple Cinnamon Pumpkin Muffins with Pepita Streusel
With Food + Love • Creamy Pumpkin Polenta with Balsamic Roasted Beets
A Cookie Named Desire • Pumpkin Crepes with Cinnamon Ginger Cheesecake
Nommable • Pumpkin Moon Pies
Feed Me Phoebe • Thai Pumpkin Curry with Shrimp and Bok Choy
The Yellow Table • Coconut-Curry Pumpkin Soup
Ginger & Toasted Sesame • Pumpkin Ricotta Gnudi
The Crepes of Wrath • Pumpkin Pie Cake
The Swirling Spoon • Pumpkin Hand Pies
Erin Made This • Pumpkin Rye Waffles with Coconut Caramel
Beard and Bonnet • Pumpkin Spice Pizzelle Ice Cream Sandwiches
My Name is Yeh • Pumpkin Slice and Bake Cookies
Earthy Feast • Pumpkin-Stuffed Turnip-Ravioli with Pepita Pesto
Broma Bakery • Pumpkin Pie White Chocolate Brownies
Floating Kitchen • Pumpkin Beertail with Tequila and Spiced Rum
The Sugar Hit • Pumpkin Everything Bagels
The Bojon Gourmet • Pumpkin Flatbread with Gruyére and Crispy Sage (gluten-free)
Sprinkled with Jules • Pumpkin Spice French Macarons
Feast + West • Dark Chocolate Pumpkin Seed Toffee Bark
Jojotastic • Pumpkin Cinnamon Rimming Sugar
Fix Feast Flair • Pumpkin Spice Japanese Cheesecake
Appeasing a Food Geek • Pumpkin Ale Cake
Tending the Table • Roasted Pumpkin with Tamarind and Coriander Chutney
Long Distance Baking • Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream + Pumpkin Pancakes
My Blue & White Kitchen • Roasted Pumpkin Risotto with Crispy Prosciutto
Fork Vs. Spoon • Pumpkin Buttermilk Pudding
Alyssa & Carla • Pumpkin Tea Bread (in a Coffee Can!)
Twin Stripe • Pumpkin Spice Toffee
Le Jus d’Orange • Lentil-Stuffed Acorn Squash, Crispy King Oyster Bacon + Aged Goat Cheese
The Scratch Artist • Japanese Pumpkin Temaki with Ginger Kale Chips
Brewing Happiness • Caramelized Apple Pumpkin Muffins
Blogging Over Thyme • Homemade Candied Pecan Pumpkin Ice Cream Drumsticks
Heartbeet Kitchen • Pumpkin Swirled Mashed Potatoes
The Speckled Palate • Pumpkin Brown Butter Streusel Muffins with Maple Cream Cheese Glaze
Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt • Pumpkin Gingersnap Pie
Style Sweet CA • Chocolate Stout and Pumpkin Checkerboard Cake
Fork to Belly • Pumpkin Orange Brulee Pie
Tasty Yummies • Grain-Free Pumpkin Spice Pancakes
Påte á Chew • Pumpkin Almond Cake with Almond Butter Frosting
Holly & Flora • Pumpkin Pie Martini with Coconut Cream + Homemade Pumpkin Spice Syrup
Southern Soufflé • Sorghum Pumpkin Soufflés
Okie Dokie Artichokie • Creamy Pumpkin and Chorizo Pasta Bake, Cheese Tortellini, Sage-Mascarpone Sauce, Toasted Hazelnuts
Kale & Caramel • Pumpkin Goat Cheese Polenta with Brown Butter Thyme Mushrooms & Kale
The Little Epicurean • Maple Pumpkin Butter Brioche Toast
Vigor and Sage • Maple Pumpkin Harvest Smoothie
Tried and Tasty • Whole Wheat Pumpkin Sugar Cookies
Sprouted Routes • Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Risotto with Sweet & Spicy Roasted Pepitas (gluten free)
The Fauxmartha • Baked Pumpkin Donuts
So… Let’s Hang Out • Grain-Free Apple Crumble Pumpkin Pie
Wit & Vinegar • Pumpkin Flaxseed Dog Treats
Dunk & Crumble • Pumpkin Roundup
Biscuits and Such • Pumpkin Pound Cake
SugarHero! • Cinnamon Swirl Pumpkin Pound Cake
A Little Saffron • Spiced Pepita Brittle
Farmette • “Tis Different” Pumpkin Pie