Pretzel bites with four distinct dipping sauces

date10.24.12

Sometimes it’s nice to take a break from studying to spend an entire day in the kitchen. Well at least the second half of the day that you didn’t spend sleeping in. A group of Lucas’s college friends (and now my new friends!) threw a potluck on Sunday to toast our engagement, and I seized the opportunity to make my kitchen feel loved and wanted again. It’d been awhile since I coated every surface with flour and I could tell my KitchenAid was feeling neglected. So I threw on an apron first thing in the morning (read: 12:00pm) and got to work making these SUPER ADDICTING pretzel bites.

These bites of heaven were actually inspired by my fancy new serving dish. Back when Groupon was just getting popular – you know, when they’d offer Fandango movie tickets for next to nothing – I accumulated a bank of Groupon bucks for referring my friends. And now that Groupon’s specialty is Lasik eye surgery and liposuction (both of which I’d be very skeptical to get a “deal” on), it’s rare that I actually find something worth using my promo money to buy. So when I snagged this serving dish made by Core Bamboo with four little white asymmetrical bowls and accompanying teeny-tiny spoons, I was thrilled! More excuses to cook, and one more pretty way to present food. Without a proper excuse to use it, it’s been in the box since it arrived…until now. What better to serve with a cute little platter than miniature pretzel bites served with a sampler of sauces?

As soon as the timer went off, Lucas popped a warm pretzel bite into his mouth and exclaimed, “WHAT makes these SO pretzel-y!?!!?” The trick, my friends, is a quick dunk in a boiling bath of water and baking soda before sticking them in the oven, and you’ll wind up with a bite that puts all other pretzels to shame. Despite the spread of delicious eats on the table Sunday evening, all 160 of these pretzel bites disappeared within an hour. People had to get up from the couch and move across the room to refrain from dunking one fluffy bite after another into gooey cheddar cheese…and spicy Pale Ale mustard…and warm pizza sauce…and finally creamy melted chocolate for salty meets sweet perfection. And repeat. Like I said, dangerously addicting.

Filed Under: , , , , , , ,

1. Tina says:

YUM! Definitely making these soon! <3

2. I love home-made pretzels of any shape, and yours look gorgeous!

3. Pretzel & chocolate…I like it!

4. Woah. Pretzel bites? I’ve made pretzels before, but never thought to break them into little dunkable bits. Total genius! This is the kind of thing I know I’d need a crowd to make for. Me home alone with a big batch of fresh pretzel bites? Danger.

• SnixyKitchen says:

Definitely dangerous! But also totally delicious. If you eat 100 pretzel bites an no one is around to see, does it really count? :)

5. Susan B. says:

I want to make these, have you ever made them the day before you served them? Just wondering how they hold up for a day. Thanks!

• SnixyKitchen says:

I actually saved about 10 (I was running out of light and thought I might want to photograph them the next day instead). They were not nearly as delicious as they were the night before. I just had them in a bowl covered in foil, so perhaps that might have contributed to it. If you do make them ahead, maybe try putting them in an airtight Ziploc bag?

• Melissa says:

I know this comment is really old now, but for anyone making this for the first time…

I found through trial and error that if you bake them and then flash freeze them and store them in Ziploc bags, you can reheat them in a 425 oven for 5ish minutes until they are hot again, and they taste just about as good as when they are fresh.

Great recipe, BTW! They’ve been a hit at two parties already, and I’m gearing up to make them again for this weekend!

6. These look so good! Would love to have these for my dipping sauces instead of chips!

7. Ooh. I am loving this. So much deliciousness!

8. What a great idea. I have a feeling this would be perfect for parties – low key enough but retaining some foodie flair with the different sauces!

• SnixyKitchen says:

Thanks! I agree – simple, but still impressive for foodie guests. In fact, someone at the potluck asked me where to buy the pretzel bites and was completely surprised to hear they were homemade.

9. Veronica says:

I want some now!I love the idea of the sweet and salty with chocolate dipping sauce!

10. Dvanthiel says:

I’m an American living abroad and made these for my homesick family to nibble on while watching NCAA football on ESPN Europe… They were great!! I would love to keep a few batches in the freezer as they are at their best when eaten fresh out if the oven. At which point do you think I could best freeze them?
    Thanks!

11. jessica holmes says:

Can these still be made with just a regular hand mixer?

• SnixyKitchen says:

If you don’t have a stand mixer with a dough hook, it’s totally fine! However, I’d recommend mixing the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients first with a wooden spoon and then kneading it by hand rather than using a hand mixer. Let me know how it turns out!

• jessica holmes says:

Alright!

• jessica holmes says:

How much water is mixed first? 11/2 warm? When is 10 cups of water needed…somehow im confusing myself

• SnixyKitchen says:

Hey! Sorry for the confusion. When making the dough, the first step is to combine the 1.5 cups of water with the sugar, yeast, and butter.

Later you’ll need to bring a big pot of water to boil with the baking soda – I’ll change it to clarify that it’s an entire pot of water.

Not sure where 10 cups is from, but I’m wondering if somehow my 1/2 symbol got rendered as a ‘0’ on your computer? HMMM.

Anyways – hope this helps! Goodluck:)

• jessica holmes says:

I am making (attempting) to make these right now..can i use wax paper instead of parchment paper?

• SnixyKitchen says:

Hope I’m not too late in responding – I was making dinner myself:) If you don’t have parchment paper, I would recommend using a nonstick baking sheet or spraying PAM on a baking sheet. I imagine the wax paper might melt in the oven, which might affect the flavor of the pretzels.

12. jessica holmes says:

Thanks! Wax paper is definitely not a good substitute lol

13. Nicole says:

This was great but mine came out very lite colored.. Any idea what I did wrong?

• SnixyKitchen says:

I bet that your oven is just slightly different than mine. Mine tends to run a little hot (although I keep a thermometer in there because of my over enthusiastic oven), and it’s possible yours runs a big cooler than mine (probably more accurate to the real temp that mine!). Next time, try baking them a little longer until the tops turn golden brown. I’m moving into a new kitchen in March and I’ll re-do this recipe to check the baking time with our brand new oven – Thanks for letting me know!

14. Hollie says:

I made these for my Oktoberfest Party last weekend. They were delicious. I did need to add a bit more flour, but I live in Florida and maybe that is why. I actually made the dough and then covered it and refrigerated it overnight.Then boiled and baked them before the party, and they still turned out great.

Thanks for the recipe!

15. Amber says:

Can I eliminate the egg wash? Substitute water? My Lil one can’t have eggs, but recently discovered soft pretzels and loves them!!! Thanks!

• It’s totally fine to skip the egg wash. Instead just sprinkle salt on them right when they come out of the boiling water so it sticks. They won’t have the glossy shine, but they’ll still be tasty!

16. Katie Benney says:

Awesome! My sister recommended this and I am totally using this for an upcoming potluck.

17. Alex harwood says:

Wow! This a a great recipe! They don’t taste far off from Auntie Anne’s products. However, I tried making the cheese sauce but it didn’t quite turn out for me. anyway, thanks for the recipe