This post is basically a one-stop shop to finding a sweet Valentine for that special someone. Since google analytics tells me y’all are about 88% women, by special someone I mean: you. Treat yo’ self! With a gluten-free double chocolate cupcake with raspberry red currant filling, a hand-forged bracelet, and a book about love. (For the other 12% of you, take notes.)
Blood Orange and Sage Sparkling Soda
Our glassware cabinet is filled with mason jars and a few mismatched Ikea glasses that haven’t broken yet. The great thing about mason jars is that they’re virtually indestructible – if only I had a dollar for every time my slippery fingers dropped a glass in the sink. The paper-thin glasses holding this blood orange and sage sparkling soda are on the exact opposite end of the spectrum; dangerously lighter than disposable plastic crystal cut cups, they threaten to crumble if you grab just a little too firmly.
My non-rational side couldn’t resist their delicacy, so I bought a pair and immediately filled them with something lovely before I had a chance to crush them with my superhuman grip.
Don’t expect to see them again. There’s a reason I can’t have nice things.
Buttermilk Fried Tofu Tacos with Jalapeno Lime Yogurt Cabbage Slaw
These Buttermilk Fried Tofu Tacos are for those days you really need comfort food. Like Monday, for example. The day after Lucas left for China. The day the freshly hung front dining room curtains ripped out of the wall. Before we point fingers, it’s not Lucas’s fault. He rushed to get my double curtain rod up minutes before he had to leave, and in the process, discovered that our landlord hadn’t put the previous brace in a stud. Lucas quickly threw a drywall screw in, worried it wouldn’t hold. Guess what? It didn’t hold.
No problem, though. I’m handy.
Chocolate Mochi Mug Cake
Among many important life lessons, my parents instilled in me one fundamental truth: dessert follows dinner. No sooner do I finish my last bite of dinner than I crave something sweet to wash it down. Tonight I’ll be making my second batch of these chocolate mochi mug cakes. This sweet tooth is programmed into my genes.
Gluten-free Scallion Pancakes
Sometimes a recipe idea pops in my head seemingly from nowhere at all (the recipe gods?). Take these gluten-free scallion pancakes, for example. I’d never eaten a scallion pancake. Not once in my whole life. In fact, I’m not even sure I’d ever even seen a picture of scallion pancakes when I decided they were my next conquest. This blind recipe testing is not a new phenomena for me – I did the same thing when I set out to make spicy pork bibimbap two years ago. There’s something about the mystery of it all.
On the one hand, this sets the bar pretty low since I have nothing to compare them against. On the other hand, how will I know if the scallion pancakes turn out like…scallion pancakes?
Shiitake Miso Soup with Silken Tofu
I have a habit of inviting people over for dinner, but then making them wait over an hour to eat while I prepare it. I’m imagining all of my hungry friends shaking their heads yes in unison. One day I’ll get the timing right (as in, I’ll stop waiting until my friends arrive to begin making the soup broth), but for now I’m just happy enough that I’m at a place in my life where I’ve got a full set of matching dishes to serve a table of four.
Your Favorite 14 Recipes from 2014
With 2015 barreling its way in, I’m freaking out just a tad. With the new year, comes my very last semester of graduate school (yay!). Except that means: only one more semester to finish up this dissertation, get it signed off, and find a job.
“Welcome to the real world, Sarah.” – 2015
Pistachio Basil Ricotta Spread with Honey
There’s an insane amount of cheese in our fridge right now (best problem to have). Last week Lucas came home with teeny tiny half-wheel of fancy cheese and a box of crackers he’d picked up at the market on his way home from work. In our marriage, this gesture is the equivalent of bringing flowers and it’s a sure way to win my heart. Except after the few indulgent bites it took to finish it off, I immediately complained about the single serving-size of cheese he’d teased me with and we had to make an emergency trip for more cheese. He’d awoken the dormant cheeseaholic inside of me. You don’t want to see what will happen if you try taking this pistachio basil ricotta spread away from me.
While y’all are gaining your holiday weight in baked goods, I’m over here putting 10lbs of cheese straight to my hips.